Thursday, May 5, 2011

The Adversary

I'm reading a book called "Return Four Phases of Our mortal Journey Home" by Robert D. Hales. I am really liking this book. Today I read Chapter 13, "Overcoming the Adversary." It was a very thought provoking chapter. He says that Satan isn't passive in his attack for our souls. He knows our weaknesses or our Achilles' heel, so we better know what they are so we can protect ourselves. This apply's to us and our spouses, well everybody actually. I like the following, I'll quote:
...when something disappointing, difficult, or even tragic happens in our lives, do we lose confidence in the Lord and try to console ourselves by turning (or returning) to sin? If so, we learn by sad experience that after we have transgressed, the light of Christ leaves us. We lose the influence of the Holy Ghost. We are cast into darkness, becoming utterly lonely and depressed. We don't recognize that Satan is influencing us. We can't see the truth of God's love. We are right where the adversary wants us--off the strait and narrow path, "wandering in strange roads" (I Nephi 8:32), and without any hope of finding happiness and peace again if we do not turn around, repent, and return to Him.
At such times, Satan deliberately tempts us to retreat to the sanctuary of our private thoughts and chambers. Such retreat ultimately puts us further under his darkening influence, leading us to despondency, frustration, and feelings of worthlessness...
Soon we are living as a spiritual hermit...Satan wants us to follow him into this kind of withdrawal, where we truly believe we cannot come back into the circle of the Lord's love. To everyone, everywhere, I testify that we can. With the Savior's help, we can always come back.
Does that sound familiar to anybody else? I know for my spouse, his addiction has become his coping method. Its what he turns too when stressed. So that cycle begins. Hopefully he is learning different coping methods and what his underlying reasons are in the first place to help break this cycle. I know when my crazy thinking kicks in and I don't catch myself, I feel stuck in paragraph two. Thats why I have to do the basics for me, scripture study, Twelve Step work, reading uplifting books, listening to uplifting music, prayer and temple attendance. If I don't do these things on a regular basis I'm vulnerable. I know Satan is attacking my family. He wants to destroy us. He wants all families destroyed. He can't have one and he wants us to be as miserable as he is.

He had questions at the end of each chapter which are good. Since I'm in the mode now of answering questions because of step four I'll share them:

  • How vigilant am I in recognizing that the adversary has targeted me?
  • What is my Achilles' heel? Do I take steps to shore up my weaknesses?
  • Do I really believe that I have the power to command Satan to depart from my life?
  • What do I do to continually fortify myself with the help of the Holy Ghost?
  • Do I seek refuge in the temple from the adversary's influence?
  • Do I call upon God and exercise faith in the Savior to conquer the adversary?
  • How well do I learn from my mistakes?
  • When I slip up, do I wallow in loneliness and despair, or do I return to the strait and narrow path and leave my sins behind?
I think questions are great. They get you thinking and stretching yourself to discover who we really are.

No comments:

Post a Comment