Thursday, May 19, 2011

Three Gifts

In the Family Support Guide  it lists three gifts that we receive through working Step Five.

  1. Self-awareness
  2. Self-evaluation
  3. Self-acceptance
They can come softly or you can have an aha moment, and wonder why you didn't see that before. Frankly this is a very liberating step. Hard, but liberating. I think that is where the self-acceptance comes in. I had so many mixed emotions about myself before going through these steps. I felt unloved, inadequate, ugly etc. This addiction can really cause our self-esteem, what little we may have to start, plummet. As we go through the steps we can begin to see ourself as God sees us and learn to love ourselves again. This step is so vital for our healing. Elder Dean L. Larsen said:
It is necessary to accept ourselves with a self-love that is neither vain nor selfish, but rather one that is tolerant and understanding.
I read an interesting article yesterday in the Oct. 1996 Ensign called  "Sins and Mistakes". It was really comforting actually with something that had been bothering me. I highly recommend reading it.

No comments:

Post a Comment