Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Satisfaction in Marriage?

My daughter called this morning as research for her marriage class, and asked me what factors do I think contribute to satisfaction in marriage? At first I laughed. If anyone hasn't had a successful marriage for the most part, that would be me. Although I will say that it is getting much better. Then I thought since I have done a lot wrong I know what doesn't work. This has been something I have been working on hard the past five years so I gave her my two cents worth and I'll post them here.

  • Don't make your spouse the center of your marriage. He or she will let you down sometimes. Put God first. He loves you always--no matter what!
  • Don't try to fix your spouse--fix yourself. Jesus knew what he was talking about with the pulling the mote out of the eye bit. (Luke 6:41-42)
  • Think before you speak and then sometimes be quiet.
  • Never give up.
  • Serve your spouse in love. (Galatians 5:13)
  • Listen to the spirit. (Galatians 5:22-23, 25-26)
Well those are my top six.
What are yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment