Monday, April 18, 2011

Tender Mercies

Another important part of working Step Four is to remember God's help in our lives. We can pray  and ask Heavenly Father to help us remember his tender mercies in our life. Recognizing that God has been there for us in the past, helps us to trust him to help us now.

When I was  younger I had some experiences that showed me God's tender mercies toward me that have really given me hope through all my trials when I think back on them. I know God is aware of me and all I am going through. Also, sometimes I will have an aha moment when I can see a part that God had played that I hadn't realized at the time.

This would also be something good to do at Step Three too when we are having a hard time trusting in God. Some questions to help us:


  • What are my earliest recollections of God's tender mercies?
  • When has the Spirit quietly and profoundly spoken to me?
  • During times of struggle and despair, how has Heavenly Father answered my prayers and strengthened me?
  • Looking back over my life, when did the Lord intervene in a way that turned out to be a blessing to me?
  • How does remembering these experiences help me to trust God's will? 
  • How will this inventory strengthen my application of Step 2?
We should keep this handy for those times when darkness seems to overshadow us and we can't remember ever having been helped. Those times come so its good to have tools to help us move out of those times faster. 

No comments:

Post a Comment