Saturday, March 26, 2011

Faith and Character

I'm still studying faith. Great subject I could stay on it for a long time ha-ha. The other article from the November 2010 Ensign that I really liked on faith was The Transforming Power of Faith and Character by Elder Richard G. Scott. He says that faith and character are intimately related. I had never thought of that before, but it made sense. When my husband was deep into his addiction I would wonder how he could have such a lack of character. Now it makes sense. He lacked faith. I feel really blessed growing up with a strong belief in God and the knowledge that he loved me and answered my prayers. My husband didn't. He didn't have that strong foundation. That is something that he needs to work on for himself. That is one of the reasons that he is having such a hard time with this I think. Some quotes I like:
Faith in the power of obedience to the commandments of God will forge strength of character available to you in times of urgent need. Such character is not developed in moments of great challenge or temptation. That is when it is intended to be used. 
We become what we want to be by consistently being what we want to become each day. Righteous character is a precious manifestation of what you are becoming. Righteous character is more valuable than any material object you own, any knowledge you have gained through study, or any goals you have attained no matter how well lauded by mankind. In the next life your righteous character will be evaluated to assess how well you used the privilege of mortality. 
 We will be evaluated to assess how well we used the privilege of mortality. It's a privilege to be here, problems and all. I told my husband the other day that I was glad I married him, problems and all. That there probably wasn't a better way for me to get to know God and myself than going through this trial. That other trials I had just weren't what it took to shake me up. I needed this. He looked at me as if I was nuts. Maybe once he gets past step 5 he will think differently. I hope. When I think that he would rather of never been married to me I go crazy. So I just think that he could have had it worse aka Fantasy Blowup. lol

As you walk to the boundary of your understanding into the twilight of uncertainty, exercising faith, you will be led to find solutions you would not obtain otherwise. With even your strongest faith, God will not always reward you immediately according to your desires. Rather, God will respond with what in His eternal plan is best for you, when it will yield the greatest advantage. Be thankful that sometimes God lets you struggle for a long time before that answer comes. That causes your faith to increase and your character to grow.
See we are to be thankful that this problem isn't a quick fix. Although that would be nice. But then neither one of us would have had sufficient time for us to grow in the ways that we need to.

 A consistent, righteous life produces an inner power and strength that can be permanently resistant to the eroding influence of sin and transgression. Your faith in Jesus Christ and obedience to His commandments will strengthen your character. Your character is a measure of what you are becoming. It is the evidence of how well you are using your time on earth in this period of mortal probation.
You cannot be passive in life, or in time the natural man will undermine your efforts to live worthily. You become what you do and what you think about. Lack of character leads one under pressure to satisfy appetite or seek personal gain. You cannot successfully bolster a weak character with the cloak of pretense.
 
 I think before I found out about my husbands addiction, I took life for granted. I was passive. I let life take over and didn't put the important things first. That's what is so great about this challenge, if you don't want to keep feeling like your life is out of control and you are a pawn, you need to take life by the reigns and prioritize. What is really important? Who do you want to become? Where do I want to end up?

No comments:

Post a Comment