Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Prayer is the Key

Elder Boyd K. Packer said: "Learn to pray. Pray often. Pray in your mind, in your heart. Pray on your knees. Prayer is your personal key to heaven. The lock is on your side of the veil. And I have learned to conclude all  my prayers with 'Thy will be done'."  I like the part that the lock is on my side of the veil. God doesn't force himself on us at all. When I was young I had several experiences with prayer that reinforced my belief in prayer as a good thing. It seems that child like faith came easy when I was young.

When I was in college I learned that Satan doesn't want me to pray. So  I know if he doesn't like it, it must be an awesome power. I know that times when my thoughts had become "unmanageable" it was harder for me to pray and listen. But when I stay focused on my scripture study it is much easier, my faith is stronger and my hearing better.
Ye must pour out your souls in your closets, and your secret places, and in your wilderness. Yea, and when you do not cry unto the Lord, let your hearts be full, drawn out in prayer unto him continually for your welfare, and also for the welfare of those who are around you. (Alma 34:27)
Ponder questions:

  • What do I need to do to make prayer part of my daily life?
  • What can I do to unlock my side of the veil?
  • How can I learn to end my prayers with, "Thy will be done"? 

No comments:

Post a Comment