Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Love Forgives

Today's dare could possibly be the hardest one in the book. Luckily the 12 Steps don't start out with this because, frankly you have to grow into it.

Day 25: Love Forgives
Whatever you haven't forgiven in your mate, forgive it today. Let it go. Just as we ask Jesus to "Forgive us our debts" each day, we must ask Him to help us "Forgive our debtors" each day as well. Unforgiveness has been keeping you and your spouse in prison too long. Say from your heart, "I choose to forgive."
I remember when I was in middle school there was a boy in my neighborhood that was very rude and mean to me. I hated him. I couldn't stand being on the same planet with him. I was so angry at him and held onto that for a while. Then I realized that my anger wasn't doing anything to hurt him, just me. It was physically making me sick. So I prayed for help in not hating him any more. I remember when I finally forgave him. I finally felt better. I think that experience was a tender mercy from God. It helped me with being able to forgive my husband.

This addiction really tests you. You really find out what your made of and your relationship with God. I think forgiving someone takes a huge amount of faith. You are turning the issue over to God to deal with. We don't have to worry about the fairness of it, or if they will be punished. That isn't our problem. That's what God is for. We forgive so we can become Christ like. That is how we turn our burden over to him. The peace and the freedom that comes from forgiving someone is amazing. I'm so grateful that Heavenly Father has helped me to forgive my husband. I couldn't do it on my own, but with his help I can do anything. The sad thing about this addiction is we get lots of practice at forgiving. It's not something that is stopped when they first decide they want to quit. But since we aren't perfect either, we need God to forgive us over and over too.

No comments:

Post a Comment