Saturday, February 26, 2011

What Do I Want To Become?

I was reading another chapter in "He Restoreth My Soul" today Chapter 13 "Cerebral Software." This is chapter has steps to help overcome the addiction. I related to this step because it is something that I can apply to me.
The first step was to have the addict visualize what there life would be without the addiction. Then if they can see they need recovery to ask themselves the following three questions.

  1. What do you want?
  2. What are you willing to do?
  3. How far are you willing to go?
These are great questions. They could be applied to any addiction, compulsive eating, shopping, being a co-dependent etc. What kind of person do I want to be? What am I willing to do to become that person? How far am I willing to go to become that person? If I'm not willing to do much in questions two or three, then I didn't want what I wanted in question 1 bad enough. 

As  I go through the twelve steps, I peel of layers of myself that I had buried for a long time, in order to feel safe. So I am rediscovering myself. But it is also a time that I can reinvent myself. That is why I like these questions. What do I really want? I need to think about that for a while.

Day 28: Love Makes Sacrifices
What is one of the greatest needs in your spouse's life right now? Is there a need you could lift from their shoulders today by a daring act of sacrifice on your part? Whether the need is big or small, purpose to do what you can to meet the need.
What kind of spouse do I want to be. Regardless of how my spouse treats or thinks of me, what do I want to become. This experience really helps you decide what you are going to be made of. What you are going to be like. Am I going to live my life an eye for an eye or a tooth for a tooth? Or am I going to "turn the other cheek"?  Am I  going to remember "Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me."

No comments:

Post a Comment