Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Seek to Understand

Day 18: Love Seeks to Understand
Prepare a special dinner at home, just for the two of you. The dinner can be as nice as you prefer. focus this time on getting to know your spouse better, perhaps in areas you've rarely talked about. Determine to make it an enjoyable evening for you and your mate.
Well I should have read ahead. Wednesday  night, dinner won't work for the two of us. So I'll try to take him out to lunch. In the book "The Love Dare,"  it talks about getting to know and understand your spouse. How well do we know them, a college degree, a master degree or ultimately a doctorate degree? I don't know how well I know my spouse because he has hidden a big portion of it from me for so long. I'm not sure how well he even knows himself. So I keep on trying. It has some questions in the back of the book you can use to get started. Here are some of them:

  • What is your greatest hope or dream?
  • What do you enjoy the most about your life right now?
  • What three things would you like to do before the next year passes?
  • If you could have lunch with anyone in the world, who would it be and why?
  • Of the following things, what would make you feel most love?
    • Having your body massaged and caressed for an hour.
    • Sitting and talking for an hour about your favorite subject.
    • Having help around the house for an afternoon.
    • Receiving a very nice gift.
    • Hearing encouragement about how appreciated you are.
  • What is the next major decision that you think God would want us to make as a couple?
  • What words would you like to hear from me more often?
The Bible says, "The ear of the wise seeks knowledge" (Proverbs 18:15) So therefore I seek knowledge about my spouse. 

The final C of Emotional and Spiritual Healing.

     12. I welcome the fervent hope that "in Christ there [will] come every good thing" regardless of what lies ahead in my future. (Moro. 7:22)

This seems to boil down to having faith. You can trust God if you have faith in him. Faith that everything will work out for me even if I can't see that know. Let go of the worry, do the best I can. Learn and grow and what will happen will happen, but I will be able to handle it with Gods help. Good news, I don't have to waste time worrying. Worrying doesn't solve anything anyway. This is really a freeing step.

No comments:

Post a Comment